Dark under eye circles, also known as eye bags, are caused by broken blood vessels within the lower eyelid. A shadow forms underneath the bag causing the dark circles to appear.
As with all Light Therapy products, the device most effective is the one that you are most likely to use as treatment must be continued for 1-3 months to see noticeable results.
Red and Infrared Laser Therapy and LED light therapy have proven effective at eliminating puffiness around the eyes. Red 660nm monochromatic light from a laser triggers the body to produce new skin cells and collagen causing the skin around the eye to become noticeably smoother. We use the Perfectio Plus Handheld device to decrease puffiness and improve the appearance of dark circles and fine lines.
The PERFECTIO PLUS LED Anti Aging will rejuvenate your skin's appearance and structure using dual action techniques- Red LED light and topical heating care.
The PERFECTIO PLUS LED Anti Aging uses red and infrared LEDS in the range of 700-940 nm.
LED facial technology gently delivers precise dosages of energy to the skin.This will supply more deeper and effective treatment to all skin layers.
It is also great to treat those dark circles under your eyes, and improve puffiness!
We recommend doing this in conjunction with our 24KDior Gold Facial Masks! Schedule your Light Facial Today!
First off, Happy Happy New Years to all of you!! I hope 2018 brings each of you all the health, love, abundance, beauty, and inner peace!
I know many of you wonder, "What is Integrative Dermatology?" Many friends, family members, patients, and colleagues frequently ask. Could Integrative Dermatology be for you? Read on to find out!
It’s SO MUCH more than SKIN DEEP!
As we enter the another era of health & wellness - it's no secret that what we put IN & ON OUR BODIES impacts our health, our mind, and of course, our skin.
It's learning to unleash your INNER GLOW, by sitting down to an open & honest conversation between you and I.
It’s teaching you proper skincare, and eliminating or reducing exposure to toxic ingredients. This goes for skin products and all those beauty/anti-aging procedures!! Time to swap out your skin care & choose clean, eco-friendly and sustainably sourced beauty procedures & products?! (Our planet and it's beautiful souls thank you..)
It’s using mindfulness to help you manage and alleviate your stress. Now some stress is healthy, if used to motivate us in a positive manner. It’s taking the the time to SLOW DOWN, to LISTEN, and to learn the RIGHT way to relax!
It’s rebuilding your relationship with food to optimize your nutrition with the PROPER macro and micronutrients. Yes, for many this includes decreasing processed foods, limiting sugars & meats, while increasing fruits and veggies. For some, it involves avoiding dairy; for others, it's gluten. It's incorporating certain supplements in a monitored and controlled manner, under proper medical guidance. It's thinking about HOW and WHERE are foods are sourced, and choosing non-GMO &/or Organic if possible.
It’s moving your bodies DAILY to detox your body & mind. Yes, exercise improves our wellbeing. It also improves our circulation, and our body's ability to flush out toxins. It also unleashes that #inner glow.
It’s showing you how to make BETTER choices when it comes to your skin and your health..and ultimately LOVING your body and skin. It's time to show yourself gratitude and rethink skin care.
I’m your #skinadvocate and here to help you along the way... if that includes revealing your GLOW with some nontoxic anti-aging procedures like #microneedling, #prp, #peels, (to name a few..) all the better!
Who’s ready to join me?!
I absolutely love microneedling.
If you're not sure what it is, how it works, or find yourself wondering if it's even for you, then read on! Here, I break down a few frequently asked questions, and explain what to expect during and after the procedure!
What is microneedling, and how does it work?
- It’s a motorized device comprised of a set number of tiny titanium steel needles.(usually 10-12 or 36).
- It creates superficial micro channels (a few millimeters deep) in the skin to stimulate collagen, consequently improving texture, complexion, scars, wrinkles and more!
- It allows for better absorption of topical agents applied immediately after, and hence better results (especially when performed with platelet rich plasma, aka PRP - stay tuned below).
- It takes about 30-45 minutes, depending on the area being treated. For small scars, it can be done in under 30 minutes.
- It is NOT the same as dermabrasion, which superficially scrapes the epidermis (top layer of the skin).
What can it help improve? Common signs of skin aging, which includes:
- Pigmentation - including brown spots (lentigines, freckling, melasma)
- Scarring of any kind - acne, surgery, etc
- Stretch marks!
What often should it be performed?
- Initially, best results are seen with 3 treatments, spaced 4 weeks apart ...
- However, for maximum results, I highly recommend maintenance. spaced out either 6-8 weeks or quarterly!! (Optimal change occurs over time with routine follow up)
What is expected with treatment?
- I typically pretreat with topical numbing for 20-30 minutes
- Expect mild pressure, or a mildly prickling sensation
- Minimal pain occurs, however this also depends on the area of your face or body being treated.
- I use a hyaluronic acid serum (a normal constituent of your skin) that plumps up and volumizes your skin.
- The procedure is often BOOSTED with the use of the following:
- Vitamin C serums
- Stay tuned for more information on this amazing procedure as it's magical! (As a prelude, it uses your own blood to provide growth factors to stimulate collagen.)
PRP! My favorite addition is PRP, also known as platelet rich plasma.
What is the recovery process like?
- Recovery time is variable, but most take a few days to a week.
- Post treatment skin care is crucial for a successful recovery!
What you should expect:
- In the first few hours after the procedure, the skin becomes pink or red (similar to a sunburn)
- The skin may feel tight, itchy or warm for the next 12-48 hours, and may last up to 4 days
- Mild bleeding or bruising may occur.
- After 48 hours, the skin may start to peel, which is the body exfoliating itself, allowing for a new glowing surface to emerge!
- Other potential side effects including scarring (rare), milia (small white bumps), hyper-pigmentation (darkening of certain areas of the skin, resolves within 4-6 weeks), crusting, infection.
For treatments around the mouth:
- If there is a history of cold sores, expect pretreatment with an antiviral medication, as there is a risk of a flare.
Post Treatment Care:
- Avoid ANY scented products, including natural ingredients, such as essential oils!
- Do NOT use any retinoid products
- Use at LEAST SPF 30 chemical-free (mineral-based) sunscreen ; I recommend using SPF 50 to prevent secondary pigmentation.
- Certain oils are okay to use, such as hempseed oil.
- Certain mild nonexfoliating clay masks are okay.
- Avoid your normal personal care products for the first 3-5 days, including
- Any scented or fragranced products
- Even essential oils and natural products can be irritating, and should be avoided
- Topical antibiotics
- Avoid any exfoliating products
- Certain supplements and foods to assist with the healing process are also recommended.
- After the initial few days, it is okay to gradually introduce your skin care products.
- In the following weeks, your skin will remodel and improve!
If you're interested in a consult & in the area, call (260) 450-1313 to schedule your visit.
@drvskinIf you're from California, and would like a virtual consult for integrative dermatology, email me here or @ [email protected] OR message me on social media
Let's get glowing!
- It’s a high concentration (2-3x) of your own platelets in a small volume of plasma. Its obtained from spinning down your blood, removing the white and red blood cells, and using the highly concentrated serum as an adjunct for other procedures. For example, for specific types of hair loss, it is injected back into your scalp.
- It is also used for facial rejuvenation, as an alternative (or adjunct) for hyaluronic acid fillers, or after laser rejuvenation, or post-microneedling (my favorite!!). (stay tuned as I’ll devote a separate article explaining these!)
- It is 100% completely natural, void of synthetic factors, as it is derived 100% from YOUR OWN BLOOD. Consequently, there is no risk of allergy.
- Here, I focus on using PRP for hair loss. Specifically, PRP is quite helpful for early to moderate stages of androgenetic alopecia. Androgenetic alopecia is one of the most common causes of hair loss, resulting from a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental/nutrition effects.
- You’ll notice thicker, more luscious hair after your treatments, and a decrease in hair loss.
- Platelets contain an abundance of growth factors (such of PDGF, TGF, VEGF, EGF, FGF, CTGF), which are crucial for tissue rebuilding and repair. It also contains molecules important for cell migration and proliferation, along with numerous cytokines, anti-microbial peptides, and anti-inflammatory molecules, all to assist with a variety of aesthetic concerns, such as facial rejuvenation and hair loss!
- For Hair Loss: It acts by a variety of mechanisms, including enhancing proliferation and survival of hair follicles. It also acts to increase blood flow to your hair follicles, bringing more nutrients.
- For Facial Rejuvenation: It acts as a collagen stimulator, to counteract common signs of skin aging, including wrinkles, pore size, volume loss, texture/complexion, fine lines/wrinkles.
- It takes about 30-45 minutes. It takes 5-10 minutes to draw blood, another 10 minutes to spin out the other cells, and 10-15 minutes for injections.
- To begin with, I recommend 3 treatments, spaced 4 weeks apart to boost hair growth.
- Maintenance spaced out every 6-8 weeks or quarterly can be done thereafter, depending on your needs.
- For hair loss: we typically do not pretreat with numbing medication, as the injections are quick! If you are not having any laser resurfacing or microneedling performed at the same visit, I usually apply any left over liquid gold over your scalp.
- Recovery time is variable, but most take a few days.
- Expect mild tension and pressure from the injection sites. You will experience mild tightness and a mild headache. It is okay to use Arnica.
- You should not expect any “down” time, as you should be able to resume or normal activities.
- Of note, it is okay for mild exercise (such as walking), but I would avoid any strenuous exertion or inversions for the first 24 hours.
- Hair loss is best addressed in a combination of approaches.
- Following a sound nutrient-dense food plan is key, along with proper supplementation.
- I typically recommend taking our Hair Care Supplements, which includes our carefully sourced vitamins, minerals, and adaptogens to support healthy hair growth.
- Light-based treatments using our Light Helmet are also amazing to do in conjunction.
- You can schedule your 15-20 minute session separately or at the same visit. To start, I recommend 3x a week, then biweekly for 2 weeks, then weekly.
- Enjoy some relaxation in the comfort of our massage chair. As the light is working to activate and replenish your hair follicles, the massage chair acts to reduce your cortisol (and other stress levels) to further promote hair growth.
If you're interested in a consult & in the area, call (260) 450-1313 to schedule your visit.
If you're from California, and would like a virtual consult for integrative dermatology, email me here or @ [email protected] OR message me on social media.
Let's get glowing!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.