Hi friends! DETOX 101
I absolutely LOVE learning. I'm always reading new articles, listening to NEW podcasts, and really trying things out! Life's an experiment, and you only GROW with challenge!!
I wanted to share a little bit about ONE of the many things I'm currently learning. As you know, I'm on a mission to empower YOU to heal from within. I want to educate & inspire YOU to take charge of your health!
Right now, I'm diving BACK into Detoxification, as I'm going to a conference next weekend! Now, I've already learned this 3 times in the past 10 years (in undergrad, med school and again in residency), but now my focus is a little different, as I am viewing it through a different lens!
I'm SUUUUPER excited!!! I have SO MUCH AMAZINGNESS TO SHARE, and I'm starting with THIS little tidbit!
DEFINITELY Stay tuned over the next few weeks!!!
Okay, LET'S DIVE IN!
There is SO much talk about the benefits of DETOXING. This word is SO UBIQUITOUS! What IS detoxification anyways? Do you know WHAT is actually happening in the body. Now, I'm about to get a little nerdish on ya, but stay with me! It'll only be a brief overview...trust me :)
There are 3 phases to detoxification
PHASE 1: Metabolism through Cytochrome P450 (CYP450) enzymes in the liver:
This is all about oxidative activation. It's a fancy word the factory that ACTIVATES toxins that need to be broken down in the body, making them more REACTIVE. This activation changes them into LIPOPHILIC molecules (or molecules that mix well or attract oils). Detox can't properly occur with this IMPORTANT activation step. NOW, there are SEVERAL CYP enzymes, majority are in the liver. Medications, such as steroids, alcohol, & many foods (grapefruit) we eat are metabolized through different enzymes. It's also important to know that bacteria & heavy metals can also inhibit our phase 1 detox CYP enzymes. It's also SUPER important for Hemoglobin, which distributes oxygen throughout the body.
Phase 2: Conjugation:
So once we ACTIVATE toxins, its time to CONJUGATE, or add on extra groups to make them more water-soluble. There are 3 important enzymes (molecules that accelerate or catalyze important cellular reactions in the body) to know:
- Superoxide Dismutase (requires copper, zinc, and manganese) is also important in gathering ROS and creating hydrogen peroxide.
- Glutathione (GSH) peroxidases (require selenium) - this enzyme takes 2 hydrogen peroxides produced above and combines them with Glutathione to create 2 water molecules. Now WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GLUTATHIONE?!? Glutathione (GSH) is a tripeptide molecule that is KEY in conjugating toxins, which prepares them to be pumped out. Now I will dive into later on this month and why its AWESOME --> you'll LOVE it! TRUST ME! But to give you a little preface, GSH is made of 3 amino acids (glutamine, cysteine, and glycine). It is SERIOUSLY the MOST important, and UNDERSTATED ANTIOXIDANT in the body. It basically primes molecules and prepares them to be pumped out! Without glutathione, our body's ability to quench these toxins, which would otherwise generate HARMFUL reactive oxygen species in our body, is significantly IMPAIRED.
- Glutathione (GSH) reductase - GSH reductase is essential to regenerate glutathione in the body. As you can see above, glutathione peroxidases use up two glutathione molecules. To restore our glutathione levels, GSH Reductase (which requires magnesium & up to 10% of our total body glucose) is ABSOLUTELY necessary. As you can see detoxification is an EXPENSIVE energy-dependent process!
Phase 3: ENERGY pumps!
Energy PUMPS in the liver are CRUCIAL to pump those activated and primed toxins (produced in Phase 2), OUT of the body! This is HIGHLY energy dependent (requiring B vitamins, Magnesium, manganese, iron, coQ10).
Don't you see why it's so important to take a multivitamin?!
Now what about INFLAMMATION!?!? How does inflammation in the liver or intestines compromise detoxification?!
Intestinal inflammation (which occurs through stress, consuming a standard American diet, smoking, and other toxins) DECREASES the activity of our phase 3 pumps, which in turn, backs up the toxins in phase 2 in the liver, and eventually increases oxidative stress on our body! (Think of a car crash in the middle of a busy intersection!) That's why I'm ALL about that GUT health.
Here's how you can optimize your GI Tract!
- Prebiotics (fiber, rice bran fiber, inulin, psyllium)
- Probiotics (fermented foods, kombucha, probiotic tablet).
- Digestive Enzymes
- Saccharomyces boulardii (stimulates the production of the ONTLY anti-inflammatory antibody secretory IgA)
- Use Curcumin & Quercetin to DIRECTLY ameliorate inflammation.
Here's a little shoutout to VITAMIN C! Its an amazing antioxidant and important in detox!
Vitamin C Tips!!
- Smoking decreases our vitamin C by 40%
- SUGAR is even worse! It decreases it by 50%!
- Vitamin C (along with vitamin E) inhibits glutathione (GSH) depletion.
Here are some ways to increase GSH levels:
- Magnesium (500mg-800mg)
- NAC (N-acetylcysteine)
- Whey protein (need at least 25-45g daily)
- Fiber (rice bran fiber, psyllium)
- MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) => so important for phase 2!
- Alpha lipoic acid
- Glutathione supplementation:
- IV glutathione, nebulizer glutathione, glutathione nasal spray, liposomal glutathione)
- Acupuncture, massage, energy/clearing work!!
Sending all of you FLURRIES of Love, LIGHT, and Absolute AMAZINGLY BRILLIANT ENERGY!
Share this with anyone you think would love it! Tag me on Facebook or Instagram!
Let's get glowing!
With Love, Dr. V