Hi friends! YAY!! I LOVE LEARNING! Vitamin C?!?
Happy Sunday my amazing friends!!!
I absolutely LOVE learning. I'm always reading new articles, listening to NEW podcasts, and really trying things out! Life's an experiment, and you only GROW with challenge!!!
Yesterday, I listened to Tom Bilyeu's podcast (Impact Theory) with Vishen Lakhiani. It is filled with COUNTLESS gems! I loved the part about businessmen vs entrepreneurs, which I've summarized here:
Businessmen are in it for the Money; Entrepreneurs will push the race FORWARD.
I wanted to share a little bit about ONE of the many things I'm currently learning. As you know, I'm on a mission to empower YOU to heal from within. I want to educate & inspire YOU to take charge of your health!
Right now, I'm diving BACK into Detoxification, as I'm going to a conference next weekend! Now, I've already learned this 3 times in the past 10 years (in undergrad, med school and again in residency), but now my focus is a little different, as I am viewing it through a different lens!
I'm SUUUUPER excited!!! I have SO MUCH AMAZINGNESS TO SHARE, and I'm starting with THIS little tidbit!
DEFINITELY, Stay tuned over the next few weeks!!!
Okay, LET'S DIVE IN!
Detoxification and the GI Tract!
There is SO much talk about the benefits of DETOXING. There are 3 phases to detoxification -
PHASE 1: Metabolism through Cytochrome P450 (CYP450) enzymes in the liver.
PHASE 2: Conjugation.
PHASE 3: ENERGY pumps!
Now what about INFLAMMATION!?!? How does inflammation in the liver or intestines compromise detoxification?!
Intestinal inflammation (which occurs through stress, consuming a standard American diet, smoking, and other toxins) causes a LEAKY GUT!! It DECREASES the activity of our phase 3 pumps, which in turn, backs up the toxins in phase 2 in the liver, and eventually increases oxidative stress on our body! (Think of a car crash in the middle of a busy intersection!) That's why I'm ALL about that GUT health.
Here's how you can optimize your GI Tract!
- Prebiotics (fiber, rice bran fiber, inulin, psyllium)
- Probiotics (fermented foods, kombucha, probiotic tablet).
- Digestive Enzymes
- Saccharomyces boulardii (stimulates the production of the ONLY anti-inflammatory antibody secretory IgA)
- Use Curcumin & Quercetin to DIRECTLY ameliorate inflammation.
- Several botanicals (such as oregano oil, ova ours (barberry), astragalus, garlic, clove can be helpful!
- Try an elimination diet!
- Destress with meditation, mindfulness, and building in structured playtime!!
Here's a little shoutout to VITAMIN C! Its an amazing antioxidant and important in detox!
Vitamin C Tips!!
- Smoking decreases our vitamin C by 40%
- SUGAR is even worse! It decreases it by 50%!
- Vitamin C (along with vitamin E) inhibits glutathione (GSH) depletion.
- Recommended dose: 3g to 8g daily --> note that diarrhea can occur with increased dosages. If you live in an urban environment, consider taking more!
- Lemon, cherries, baobab and many other fruits are AMAZING sources of vitamin C!
Okay! I hope you all enjoyed this!!!! Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate!
Sending all of you FLURRIES of Love, LIGHT, and Absolute AMAZINGLY BRILLIANT ENERGY!
Share this with anyone you think would love it! Tag me on Facebook or Instagram with your fav source of Vitamin C!
Let's get glowing!
With Love, Dr. V