Hi friends! Today I want to discuss Yoga & weights
Yes! LOVE ALL THE AMAZINGNESS in this BEAUTIFUL WORLD!!!
Happy Earth Day!!!
I'm so excited to share one of my wellness tips for my RADIATE & GLOW tip of the day!!
It's alllll about WHY I Practice Yoga With Arm & Leg Weights!
If you want to take your yoga practice to the next level, I highly recommend using arm and/or leg weights.
I'm a practicing yogi for the past 9 years, 5 of which I've been using arm/leg weights. And I LOVE IT! I began with 1 lb arm weights and 1 lb leg weights. I underestimated how just one extra pound on the limb changed the dynamics of my yoga practice. I gradually built up to 3-5 per arm and 2-6 per leg. Some days I can use more than others, but no matter what, I listen to my body! I'll even go as far as using 6-10 lb weighted vest 2-3x/week, and that definitely helps build controlled strength. Of course, I also enjoy sessions without weights, providing gratitude for the free-flowing, unrestricted motion of my body.
Why you may ask??
Here are 4 reasons:
- Using arm and leg weights allows for better sustained muscle engagement. It's similar to using weights with kickboxing or cardio classes. Or how the FASTEST man in the world Ussain Bolt (and many other athletes), train with weights attached! Its the same concept just extended to the practice of Yoga, with weights attached to limbs. This most definitely requires increased awareness, while cultivating subtle muscle control.
- Build strength, while toning. This includes core, shoulders, hands, forearms, leg, -and glute strength! It's a full body workout, especially if you incorporate core strengthening floor work!
- Promotes increased flexibility- once you learn to keep the muscle engaged, its challenging to learn to slowly release an engaged muscle to feel the stretch. Beware though! This process takes time and must be done carefully to avoid overstretching!
- It forces you to go SLOW and take your time. Acknowledge the strength of each muscle and which muscles are more engaged and easily fatigued. As with anything, it gets better with time and practice.
Okay! So now you know the awesome reasons to use ways, here's HOW to incorporate them into your practice!
As with anything, start slow! Build up gradually!
- Start with 1 lb weights either around your wrists or ankles.
- Every 2-4 weeks, you can try increasing the weight. Understand that some days it will be harder than others. Most importantly, Listen to your body. Meet your body where its at. And have TONS OF FUN! :)
Try it out and be sure to let me know what you think! I look forward to hearing how it can take your practice and wellness to the next level!
I also back up and explain a bit about free radicals!!
Watch my full video clip for examples details below!
Sending all of you sweet friends waves of love, light, warmth and ENERGYYYY!
With love, Dr. V
Share this with anyone you think would love it! Tag me on Facebook or Instagram with using weights!
Let's get glowing!
With Love, Dr. V