Posts for category: Uncategorized
Let’s talk acne!!!!!!! As a dermatologist, I sure do see and treat acne multiple times EVERYDAY. Each patient is UNIQUE, and I’m always grateful to share in each person’s journey. Acne is one of the MOST COMMON SKIN CONDITIONS, affecting almost 50 MILLION Americans. It often leads to significant emotional and psychological distress, as it can cause permanent scarring and contribute to poor self image, depression and anxiety! Believe it or not, it does NOT afflict just teens and young adults!! Male and women after age 30 can suffer from acne as well. I LOVE treating acne, because its so multifaceted!!!
In this post, I wanted to highlight some of the #common #triggers of acne. Of course, this list is INCOMPLETE and does not take the place of an indepth visit. Furthermore, not each person is affected by all of the following triggers!
READY!? Let’s Dive in!!!
Hormones: increased androgens, whether from puberty or a hormonal imbalance can trigger acne. Some forms of birth control (AHEM Mirena IUDs) can trigger acne. If you have increased hair growth (hirsutism) or irregular periods, you may have an underlying hormonal condition that should be addressed.
Nutrition: Now this is a big one!! In some individuals, dairy can be a HUGE trigger, as can highly processed foods and increased sugar consumption. Try to increase your consumption of fresh fruits and veggies! In some athletes, high whey intake can trigger cystic acne. Although I do love my supplements, too much B12 or B6 can cause acne breakouts!
Hygiene: Acne hygiene is KEY. We frequently transfer dirt onto our skin and clog our pores from dirty phones, hands and pillowcases. Forgetting to wash your face (especially after working out) often leads to acne breakouts.
Stress: Studying for exams or finals is stressful. Often many flares occur during finals or after stressful events. Poor sleep and being too much on the go can also lead to acne flares.
Now that I’ve covered some of the big triggers, I do want to make sure to share that we have several new and cutting edge treatments for acne, along with several tried and true workhorses. If you suffer from acne, please come in! I’d love to show you new treatments and help you gain control of your skin again!!!!
Much Love, Dr.V
When someone comes in to see me, I often ask them about stress. WHY?!?
Stress is the ENEMY of YOUTHFULNESS. It promotes aging. If left unmanaged, stress literally creates more inflammation in the body. In the skin, it may cause more itching, hair loss, acne, and YES! You get more wrinkles.
We all have stress in our lives. How we REACT to it is they key to whether our stress creates inflammation in our bodies or not. Don’t UNDERESTIMATE STRESS!
Try these simple techniques over the next few weeks:
Choose at least 1 item below to commit to taking action on over the next 4 weeks:
- Gratitude Journal (write down 3 things you’re grateful for each night!)
- Movement! (running, exercise, dance, HIIT, yoga, sports, etc) — 3-5x/week
- Meditation/Mindfulness/Prayer (commit to at least 5 minutes of stillness)
- Suggested Apps: Breethe, Calm, Headspace
- Breathing Technique: Take a deep breath in and count to 5. Exhale for 4 counts. Repeat 7x.
- Music! Listening to music lowers our stress hormones.
- Support/Community! Spend time with Family/Friends that make you laugh and smile.
- Human Touch: Hugs! I suggest you try to give at least 5 hugs a day!
- Essential Oils! I love lavender, but choose one that speaks to you!
- Supplements: These are some supplements I like. Magnesium, True Calm, L-Theanine, CBD Oil, among others
Download a copy of this worksheet to start taking actions today!
Dark under eye circles, also known as eye bags, are caused by broken blood vessels within the lower eyelid. A shadow forms underneath the bag causing the dark circles to appear.
As with all Light Therapy products, the device most effective is the one that you are most likely to use as treatment must be continued for 1-3 months to see noticeable results.
Red and Infrared Laser Therapy and LED light therapy have proven effective at eliminating puffiness around the eyes. Red 660nm monochromatic light from a laser triggers the body to produce new skin cells and collagen causing the skin around the eye to become noticeably smoother. We use the Perfectio Plus Handheld device to decrease puffiness and improve the appearance of dark circles and fine lines.
The PERFECTIO PLUS LED Anti Aging will rejuvenate your skin's appearance and structure using dual action techniques- Red LED light and topical heating care.
The PERFECTIO PLUS LED Anti Aging uses red and infrared LEDS in the range of 700-940 nm.
LED facial technology gently delivers precise dosages of energy to the skin.This will supply more deeper and effective treatment to all skin layers.
It is also great to treat those dark circles under your eyes, and improve puffiness!
We recommend doing this in conjunction with our 24KDior Gold Facial Masks! Schedule your Light Facial Today!
First off, Happy Happy New Years to all of you!! I hope 2018 brings each of you all the health, love, abundance, beauty, and inner peace!
I know many of you wonder, "What is Integrative Dermatology?" Many friends, family members, patients, and colleagues frequently ask. Could Integrative Dermatology be for you? Read on to find out!
It’s SO MUCH more than SKIN DEEP!
As we enter the another era of health & wellness - it's no secret that what we put IN & ON OUR BODIES impacts our health, our mind, and of course, our skin.
It's learning to unleash your INNER GLOW, by sitting down to an open & honest conversation between you and I.
It’s teaching you proper skincare, and eliminating or reducing exposure to toxic ingredients. This goes for skin products and all those beauty/anti-aging procedures!! Time to swap out your skin care & choose clean, eco-friendly and sustainably sourced beauty procedures & products?! (Our planet and it's beautiful souls thank you..)
It’s using mindfulness to help you manage and alleviate your stress. Now some stress is healthy, if used to motivate us in a positive manner. It’s taking the the time to SLOW DOWN, to LISTEN, and to learn the RIGHT way to relax!
It’s rebuilding your relationship with food to optimize your nutrition with the PROPER macro and micronutrients. Yes, for many this includes decreasing processed foods, limiting sugars & meats, while increasing fruits and veggies. For some, it involves avoiding dairy; for others, it's gluten. It's incorporating certain supplements in a monitored and controlled manner, under proper medical guidance. It's thinking about HOW and WHERE are foods are sourced, and choosing non-GMO &/or Organic if possible.
It’s moving your bodies DAILY to detox your body & mind. Yes, exercise improves our wellbeing. It also improves our circulation, and our body's ability to flush out toxins. It also unleashes that #inner glow.
It’s showing you how to make BETTER choices when it comes to your skin and your health..and ultimately LOVING your body and skin. It's time to show yourself gratitude and rethink skin care.
I’m your #skinadvocate and here to help you along the way... if that includes revealing your GLOW with some nontoxic anti-aging procedures like #microneedling, #prp, #peels, (to name a few..) all the better!
Who’s ready to join me?!
I absolutely love microneedling.
If you're not sure what it is, how it works, or find yourself wondering if it's even for you, then read on! Here, I break down a few frequently asked questions, and explain what to expect during and after the procedure!
What is microneedling, and how does it work?
- It’s a motorized device comprised of a set number of tiny titanium steel needles.(usually 10-12 or 36).
- It creates superficial micro channels (a few millimeters deep) in the skin to stimulate collagen, consequently improving texture, complexion, scars, wrinkles and more!
- It allows for better absorption of topical agents applied immediately after, and hence better results (especially when performed with platelet rich plasma, aka PRP - stay tuned below).
- It takes about 30-45 minutes, depending on the area being treated. For small scars, it can be done in under 30 minutes.
- It is NOT the same as dermabrasion, which superficially scrapes the epidermis (top layer of the skin).
What can it help improve? Common signs of skin aging, which includes:
- Pigmentation - including brown spots (lentigines, freckling, melasma)
- Scarring of any kind - acne, surgery, etc
- Stretch marks!
What often should it be performed?
- Initially, best results are seen with 3 treatments, spaced 4 weeks apart ...
- However, for maximum results, I highly recommend maintenance. spaced out either 6-8 weeks or quarterly!! (Optimal change occurs over time with routine follow up)
What is expected with treatment?
- I typically pretreat with topical numbing for 20-30 minutes
- Expect mild pressure, or a mildly prickling sensation
- Minimal pain occurs, however this also depends on the area of your face or body being treated.
- I use a hyaluronic acid serum (a normal constituent of your skin) that plumps up and volumizes your skin.
- The procedure is often BOOSTED with the use of the following:
- Vitamin C serums
- Stay tuned for more information on this amazing procedure as it's magical! (As a prelude, it uses your own blood to provide growth factors to stimulate collagen.)
PRP! My favorite addition is PRP, also known as platelet rich plasma.
What is the recovery process like?
- Recovery time is variable, but most take a few days to a week.
- Post treatment skin care is crucial for a successful recovery!
What you should expect:
- In the first few hours after the procedure, the skin becomes pink or red (similar to a sunburn)
- The skin may feel tight, itchy or warm for the next 12-48 hours, and may last up to 4 days
- Mild bleeding or bruising may occur.
- After 48 hours, the skin may start to peel, which is the body exfoliating itself, allowing for a new glowing surface to emerge!
- Other potential side effects including scarring (rare), milia (small white bumps), hyper-pigmentation (darkening of certain areas of the skin, resolves within 4-6 weeks), crusting, infection.
For treatments around the mouth:
- If there is a history of cold sores, expect pretreatment with an antiviral medication, as there is a risk of a flare.
Post Treatment Care:
- Avoid ANY scented products, including natural ingredients, such as essential oils!
- Do NOT use any retinoid products
- Use at LEAST SPF 30 chemical-free (mineral-based) sunscreen ; I recommend using SPF 50 to prevent secondary pigmentation.
- Certain oils are okay to use, such as hempseed oil.
- Certain mild nonexfoliating clay masks are okay.
- Avoid your normal personal care products for the first 3-5 days, including
- Any scented or fragranced products
- Even essential oils and natural products can be irritating, and should be avoided
- Topical antibiotics
- Avoid any exfoliating products
- Certain supplements and foods to assist with the healing process are also recommended.
- After the initial few days, it is okay to gradually introduce your skin care products.
- In the following weeks, your skin will remodel and improve!
If you're interested in a consult & in the area, call (260) 450-1313 to schedule your visit.
@drvskinIf you're from California, and would like a virtual consult for integrative dermatology, email me here or @ [email protected] OR message me on social media
Let's get glowing!