I absolutely love microneedling.
If you're not sure what it is, how it works, or find yourself wondering if it's even for you, then read on! Here, I break down a few frequently asked questions, and explain what to expect during and after the procedure!
What is microneedling, and how does it work?
- It’s a motorized device comprised of a set number of tiny titanium steel needles.(usually 10-12 or 36).
- It creates superficial micro channels (a few millimeters deep) in the skin to stimulate collagen, consequently improving texture, complexion, scars, wrinkles and more!
- It allows for better absorption of topical agents applied immediately after, and hence better results (especially when performed with platelet rich plasma, aka PRP - stay tuned below).
- It takes about 30-45 minutes, depending on the area being treated. For small scars, it can be done in under 30 minutes.
- It is NOT the same as dermabrasion, which superficially scrapes the epidermis (top layer of the skin).
What can it help improve? Common signs of skin aging, which includes:
- Pigmentation - including brown spots (lentigines, freckling, melasma)
- Scarring of any kind - acne, surgery, etc
- Stretch marks!
What often should it be performed?
- Initially, best results are seen with 3 treatments, spaced 4 weeks apart ...
- However, for maximum results, I highly recommend maintenance. spaced out either 6-8 weeks or quarterly!! (Optimal change occurs over time with routine follow up)
What is expected with treatment?
- I typically pretreat with topical numbing for 20-30 minutes
- Expect mild pressure, or a mildly prickling sensation
- Minimal pain occurs, however this also depends on the area of your face or body being treated.
- I use a hyaluronic acid serum (a normal constituent of your skin) that plumps up and volumizes your skin.
- The procedure is often BOOSTED with the use of the following:
- Vitamin C serums
- Stay tuned for more information on this amazing procedure as it's magical! (As a prelude, it uses your own blood to provide growth factors to stimulate collagen.)
PRP! My favorite addition is PRP, also known as platelet rich plasma.
What is the recovery process like?
- Recovery time is variable, but most take a few days to a week.
- Post treatment skin care is crucial for a successful recovery!
What you should expect:
- In the first few hours after the procedure, the skin becomes pink or red (similar to a sunburn)
- The skin may feel tight, itchy or warm for the next 12-48 hours, and may last up to 4 days
- Mild bleeding or bruising may occur.
- After 48 hours, the skin may start to peel, which is the body exfoliating itself, allowing for a new glowing surface to emerge!
- Other potential side effects including scarring (rare), milia (small white bumps), hyper-pigmentation (darkening of certain areas of the skin, resolves within 4-6 weeks), crusting, infection.
For treatments around the mouth:
- If there is a history of cold sores, expect pretreatment with an antiviral medication, as there is a risk of a flare.
Post Treatment Care:
- Avoid ANY scented products, including natural ingredients, such as essential oils!
- Do NOT use any retinoid products
- Use at LEAST SPF 30 chemical-free (mineral-based) sunscreen ; I recommend using SPF 50 to prevent secondary pigmentation.
- Certain oils are okay to use, such as hempseed oil.
- Certain mild nonexfoliating clay masks are okay.
- Avoid your normal personal care products for the first 3-5 days, including
- Any scented or fragranced products
- Even essential oils and natural products can be irritating, and should be avoided
- Topical antibiotics
- Avoid any exfoliating products
- Certain supplements and foods to assist with the healing process are also recommended.
- After the initial few days, it is okay to gradually introduce your skin care products.
- In the following weeks, your skin will remodel and improve!
If you're interested in a consult & in the area, call (260) 450-1313 to schedule your visit.
@drvskinIf you're from California, and would like a virtual consult for integrative dermatology, email me here or @ [email protected] OR message me on social media
Let's get glowing!