I absolutely love microneedling.
If you're not sure what it is, how it works, or find yourself wondering if it's even for you, then read on! Here, I break down a few frequently asked questions, and explain what to expect during and after the procedure!
What is microneedling, and how does it work?
It’s a motorized device comprised of a set number of tiny titanium steel needles.(usually 10-12 or 36).
It creates superficial micro channels (a few millimeters deep) in the skin to stimulate collagen, consequently improving texture, complexion, scars, wrinkles and more!
It allows for better absorption of topical agents applied immediately after, and hence better results (especially when performed with platelet rich plasma, aka PRP - stay tuned below).
It takes about 30-45 minutes, depending on the area being treated. For small scars, it can be done in under 30 minutes.
It is NOT the same as dermabrasion, which superficially scrapes the epidermis (top layer of the skin). What can it help improve? Common signs of skin aging, which includes:
- Pigmentation - including brown spots (lentigines, freckling, melasma)
- Scarring of any kind - acne, surgery, etc
- Stretch marks!
How often should it be performed?
Initially, best results are seen with 3 treatments, spaced 4 weeks apart ...
However, for maximum results, I highly recommend maintenance. spaced out either 6-8 weeks or quarterly!! (Optimal change occurs over time with routine follow up)
What is expected with treatment?
I typically pretreat with topical numbing for 20-30 minutes
Expect mild pressure, or a mildly prickling sensation
Minimal pain occurs, however this also depends on the area of your face or body being treated.
I use a hyaluronic acid serum (a normal constituent of your skin) that plumps up and volumizes your skin.
The procedure is often BOOSTED with the use of the following:
- Vitamin C serums
- Stay tuned for more information on this amazing procedure as it's magical! (As a prelude, it uses your own blood to provide growth factors to stimulate collagen.)
PRP! My favorite addition is PRP, also known as platelet rich plasma.
What is the recovery process like?
Recovery time is variable, but most take a few days to a week.
Post treatment skin care is crucial for a successful recovery!
What you should expect:
- In the first few hours after the procedure, the skin becomes pink or red (similar to a sunburn)
- The skin may feel tight, itchy or warm for the next 12-48 hours, and may last up to 4 days
- Mild bleeding or bruising may occur.
- After 48 hours, the skin may start to peel, which is the body exfoliating itself, allowing for a new glowing surface to emerge!
- Other potential side effects including scarring (rare), milia (small white bumps), hyper-pigmentation (darkening of certain areas of the skin, resolves within 4-6 weeks), crusting, infection.
For treatments around the mouth:
- If there is a history of cold sores, expect pretreatment with an antiviral medication, as there is a risk of a flare.
Post Treatment Care:
- Avoid ANY scented products, including natural ingredients, such as essential oils!
- Do NOT use any retinoid products
- Use at LEAST SPF 30 chemical-free (mineral-based) sunscreen ; I recommend using SPF 50 to prevent secondary pigmentation.
- Certain oils are okay to use, such as hempseed oil.
- Certain mild nonexfoliating clay masks are okay.
- Avoid your normal personal care products for the first 3-5 days, including
- Any scented or fragranced products
- Even essential oils and natural products can be irritating, and should be avoided
- Topical antibiotics
- Avoid any exfoliating products
- Certain supplements and foods to assist with the healing process are also recommended.
- After the initial few days, it is okay to gradually introduce your skin care products.
- In the following weeks, your skin will remodel and improve!
If you're interested in a consult & in the area, call (260) 450-1313 to schedule your visit.