- It’s a high concentration (2-3x) of your own platelets in a small volume of plasma. Its obtained from spinning down your blood, removing the white and red blood cells, and using the highly concentrated serum as an adjunct for other procedures. For example, for specific types of hair loss, it is injected back into your scalp.
- It is also used for facial rejuvenation, as an alternative (or adjunct) for hyaluronic acid fillers, or after laser rejuvenation, or post-microneedling (my favorite!!). (stay tuned as I’ll devote a separate article explaining these!)
- It is 100% completely natural, void of synthetic factors, as it is derived 100% from YOUR OWN BLOOD. Consequently, there is no risk of allergy.
- Here, I focus on using PRP for hair loss. Specifically, PRP is quite helpful for early to moderate stages of androgenetic alopecia. Androgenetic alopecia is one of the most common causes of hair loss, resulting from a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental/nutrition effects.
- You’ll notice thicker, more luscious hair after your treatments, and a decrease in hair loss.
- Platelets contain an abundance of growth factors (such of PDGF, TGF, VEGF, EGF, FGF, CTGF), which are crucial for tissue rebuilding and repair. It also contains molecules important for cell migration and proliferation, along with numerous cytokines, anti-microbial peptides, and anti-inflammatory molecules, all to assist with a variety of aesthetic concerns, such as facial rejuvenation and hair loss!
- For Hair Loss: It acts by a variety of mechanisms, including enhancing proliferation and survival of hair follicles. It also acts to increase blood flow to your hair follicles, bringing more nutrients.
- For Facial Rejuvenation: It acts as a collagen stimulator, to counteract common signs of skin aging, including wrinkles, pore size, volume loss, texture/complexion, fine lines/wrinkles.
- It takes about 30-45 minutes. It takes 5-10 minutes to draw blood, another 10 minutes to spin out the other cells, and 10-15 minutes for injections.
- To begin with, I recommend 3 treatments, spaced 4 weeks apart to boost hair growth.
- Maintenance spaced out every 6-8 weeks or quarterly can be done thereafter, depending on your needs.
- For hair loss: we typically do not pretreat with numbing medication, as the injections are quick! If you are not having any laser resurfacing or microneedling performed at the same visit, I usually apply any left over liquid gold over your scalp.
- Recovery time is variable, but most take a few days.
- Expect mild tension and pressure from the injection sites. You will experience mild tightness and a mild headache. It is okay to use Arnica.
- You should not expect any “down” time, as you should be able to resume or normal activities.
- Of note, it is okay for mild exercise (such as walking), but I would avoid any strenuous exertion or inversions for the first 24 hours.
- Hair loss is best addressed in a combination of approaches.
- Following a sound nutrient-dense food plan is key, along with proper supplementation.
- I typically recommend taking our Hair Care Supplements, which includes our carefully sourced vitamins, minerals, and adaptogens to support healthy hair growth.
- Light-based treatments using our Light Helmet are also amazing to do in conjunction.
- You can schedule your 15-20 minute session separately or at the same visit. To start, I recommend 3x a week, then biweekly for 2 weeks, then weekly.
- Enjoy some relaxation in the comfort of our massage chair. As the light is working to activate and replenish your hair follicles, the massage chair acts to reduce your cortisol (and other stress levels) to further promote hair growth.
If you're interested in a consult & in the area, call (260) 450-1313 to schedule your visit.
If you're from California, and would like a virtual consult for integrative dermatology, email me here or @ [email protected] OR message me on social media.
Let's get glowing!